SPARK MOBILE APP CONTEST
MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR THOSE WITH AUTISM!
Pace University has partnered with the Simons Foundation to carry out the SPARK Mobile App Contest – an initiative that invites high school, undergraduate, and graduate students to build mobile apps that will in some way support individuals with autism spectrum disorders and their family members. A total of $50,000 in prize money will be awarded to winning teams in a variety of categories, with individual prizes ranging from $1,000 to $25,000.
This competition offers a rare hands-on experience in STEM education, and much needed advocacy and support of those affected by autism. Students learn and apply technology and computing skills, while at the same time gaining an awareness of the powerful role they can play in making positive changes for underserved populations. For more info on this initiative, visit: https://contest.sparkforautism.org/
SPARK MOBILE APP VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
We seek community collaboration and invite you to support our goals for autism research and awareness, and STEM learning by participating as a Judge for the SPARK Mobile App Contest. No specific skills or expertise are required, as we welcome those with experience and affinities with the autism community to evaluate and score winning apps. Those with a technology background/skills will be assigned as Technical Judges. Participants with backgrounds/skills in non-technology areas will be assigned as Expert Judges.
Both Expert and Technical Judges must be available from January 29th, 2018 to March 8th, 2018.
- Participate in code and video review to determine a winner for two categories: Best Prototype Apps and Best Production-Level Apps.
- Evaluate submissions based on functionality, usability, viability, and creativity and provide an overall score for their assigned teams. Rubrics and access to a scoring system will be provided.
- Responsible for evaluating up to 20 teams during a 6 week timeline.
- Preference for those with a background in IT, Mobile App Development, and those who have
participated in code review for previous contest/projects.
- Share understanding, experience, and knowledge of Autism to evaluate app ideas submitted by teams under the category of “Best App Design”. This opportunity allows Experts to review 3- minute pitch videos submitted by teams. Areas of evaluation include objective and subjective criteria to establish the overall best concept.
- Responsible for evaluating up to 30 video submissions during a 6-week timeline. Rubrics and access to scoring system will be provided.
- No technical expertise is needed.
2018 CONTEST TIMELINE FOR JUDGING & AWARDS
Judging Period — January 29th to March 8th, 2018
Judges will review design, prototype and production-level app submissions.
Announcement of Winners and Awards — March 9th, 2018
Final teams will announced and their apps shared with the SPARK community for voting.
SPARK SPARK Community Evaluation & Voting — March 12th to April 12th, 2018
Production-level apps will be made available to the SPARK community for evaluation and voting for a grand prize of $25,000.